Uh oh, the dreaded “check engine” light came on. Or you’re starting to notice your brakes aren’t quite as responsive as they used to be. Are you scratching your head to remember when was your last tune-up? It might be time to bring in your car to Joe’s Service Department for a dose of preventative maintenance. Or, if there’s a problem, you’ll catch it early and minimize damage and, hopefully, expense. Give us a call today at (317) 405-8456, or stop in at your leisure at our convenient location on 8516 Pendleton Pike in Indianapolis.
What Does a Tune-Up Include?
That depends on the model, make, and year of your car, as well as its mileage. These can usually be found in the owner’s manual of your vehicle. As always, we follow guidelines set forth by your manufacturer to ensure we are servicing the components of the vehicle at the right times. Typically, though, tune-ups include most or all of the following:
- Inspection and replacement of spark plugs
- Replacement of air filter
- Inspection and installation of brake pads and rotors
- Rotation of tires
- Changing oil and oil filters
- Inspection of fluid levels and replacement of fluids
Tune-Ups Based on Mileage
A good rule of thumb is to use a standard maintenance chart to keep track of important services that may be required. On average, most vehicles will need the following services performed based on its engine mileage:
- Every 3,000 miles: Standard oil and oil filter change; fluids checked and replaced if necessary; tire rotation; wheel alignment (if necessary).
- Every 15,000 to 30,000 miles: Air filter replacement; replace all fluids if they have not been replaced recently; replace brake pads and inspect all brake components; check battery; inspect HVAC system.
- Every 35,000 to 50,000 miles: Battery replacement; ignition system inspection; spark plug inspection and replacement (most vehicles now have premium spark plugs that can last upwards of 100,000 miles).
- Every 60,000 miles: Fluid replacement; timing belt inspection; differential and transfer case inspection.
Whatever your car’s needs, you can trust the experienced technicians at Joe’s Service Department. Questions? Give us a call today at (317) 405-8456 today, or stop by our location at any time.